View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 10:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23angels View Post
Hi,
Well.. my first degree was in psychology but I never earned a license with that one because it was a one year degree. This will be a two year social work degree that I will be able to do more with (and thought I could have my own practice if I wanted to). Unfortunately, working in GA as a therapist/social worker/counselor you need to be licensed so that is why I went back to school.
It is so nice to read this! Sometimes I feel like I am in the minority of people that went into over drive upon diagnosis rather than slowing down, lol. Perhaps it is because I wasn't raised with much but I have always been paranoid about not having enough money and wow MS has really fed into those fears which is why I'm working like a fiend for as long as I can. I need to be able to afford the nursing care I may need one day.

I think I am a bit confused about how necessary 2 masters degrees are, unless I misunderstood your OP, but if you think it will open up more opportunities for you to work if/when your MS progresses definitely go for it especially if you are able to work while you are in school.

Degrees that are used are a wonderful asset but on another board I visit I often read about people loading up on loans/debt for degree after degree without ever working in one of the fields and that doesn't seem very proactive to me.

I went back to school after being diagnosed because I also wanted a career that would offer me more flexibility. I would not have done it if I had to take a loss of income for the few years it took me to graduate though. I felt it necessary to keep working and bringing in money while the sun is shining as they say. Wishing you all the best. Jules
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Anonymous
Jules A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mom23angels (05-24-2008), Natalie8 (05-24-2008)