View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post example...

Here is a recent example from Science News which came this week.

It is about diabetes....and why some people with tight control still get
serious other medical consequences, and some diabetics who do NOT have
tight control, have no serious consequences....it is about certain genes in their DNA.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene..._for_diabetics
Quote:
DNA tweak no good for diabetics
By Tina Hesman Saey
May 5th, 2008

* font_down font_up Text Size

Increased protein production could harm eyes, kidneys

A little tweak to a diabetic’s DNA could tip the balance toward blindness and kidney failure, a new study shows.

Natural variation in just a single base pair — letters of the genetic alphabet – raises levels of erythropoietin, a protein that stimulates red blood cell production and the growth of blood vessels. Bumping up erythropoietin, EPO for short, about doubles the risk that diabetics will develop diabetic retinopathy and end-stage kidney disease, a study published online and in the May 13 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences shows.

Controlling erythropoietin levels or blocking its activity could help diabetics stave off complications or halt the progression of diseases already attacking eyes and kidneys. The research also sounds a cautionary note for diabetics who undergo kidney dialysis. Erythropoietin is often prescribed to dialysis patients to pump up red blood cell counts, but the new research suggests that EPO should be used with caution to avoid harming the eyes and kidneys....“We all see patients with their blood sugar completely under control, but they have complications right and left,” Zhang says. “Then there are other people whose blood sugar is all out of whack, and yet, they never get into trouble.”
This is a short quote, in case the link does not work, for non-members.

Now concerning the juicing...

The reason you are allowed an apple instead of an orange...is that the pectin/fiber of the apple, slows down the absorption of the natural sugars the apple has. All veggies also have some natural sugars. They lose their diabetic usefulness when juiced as well. (fiber removed by juicing)
I'd use the juicer for a once a day thing. Mix up your greens, etc for their antioxidant value...but do not drink these all day long, as they will affect your blood sugar.

As far as blood pressure goes.... I am not eager to lower mine to a value BELOW what I was when I was young and trim. I have never been below
80 diastolic, even in my middle trimester pregnant.
I am not intending to stumble around dizzy and weak with brain fog to achieve a 70 at this point in my life. Quality of life is important to me. What good is 70 if I can't get around and do things? Living like a slug and sleeping all the time?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote