View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Thanks for clarifying, Monique.

I seem to have missed the part in your first posting, where you explained you have only one more year of school. That, combined with the fact that you need this to do the job you want, and you are getting a fairly inexpensive education . . . I completely understand why you would persevere with this degree. Under those circumstances, I would make the same decision.

Like I said previously, I worked for 14 more years after the MS became more difficult. There are a lot of people who to work until retirement, as it really depends on what kind of job we do, and the way that the disease unfolds for us as individuals. For instance, I know several people in wheelchairs who have continued to work full-time throughout their career, because they are dependant on their minds instead of their bodies to do their jobs well.

In my line of work, what was most important was accuracy to detail, and meeting deadlines. As fatigue and reliability were my two worst stumbling blocks to contend with, it made it very hard to carry on in any capacity. I know many people (i.e. think Montel Williams) who do not experience those particular symptoms, and they continue on in their careers for considerably longer. Fatigue has never been an issue for Montel though, and obviously things may have been different for him if it was.

The first year after dx can be difficult for some people, because sometimes the disease is more active (then it will be later), and because adapting emotionally can be difficult for most. If you find yourself struggling during this period, with the disease process and emotional adjustments . . . that is normal. However, if you anticipate it to some degree, then I think you might worry less when things don't go exactly as planned all the time. To that end, you will need to cut yourself some slack, and even though you'll continue to set the bar high (because that's the kinda' gal you are :-) ), plan NOT to stress if things don't always work out the way you might have liked them too.

I had very large career goals at a young age, and I had to go through a major attitude adjustment when I realized I had MS. I never stopped achieving to my fullest potential, but I definitely reduced the scope of what I hoped to achieve career-wise. I was still the best at what I did . . . I just didn't realized early that I wasn't going to be able to the job that I always thought I would.

You are obviously an over-achiever, and that gives you a big leg up on your opportunities in life. My only suggestion would be to don't aim to be the President, just aim to use your skills and attributes in a more accommodating way (maybe Vice-President ) so that you can conserve energy and reduce stress to a manageable level.

Hope that made sense.

Cherie
Cherie,
Thank you for the message, it brightened my day! Hmm.. I think running for President might be too stressful, what about Congress? If I can get through this first year, it might be better.

Being a social worker will rely on my brain and talking and both of those are still intact. My problem will be driving and getting where I need to if my eyes or legs act up. Luckily, I have no real mobility problems other than numbness and hypersensitivity on my left side and my vision gets blurry every morning but then clears within a minute after blinking so I hope that continues to be the case.

That's my biggest problem, letting go and cutting myself slack. Cohorts in my class think its funny that a 3.9 is NOT good enough for me but I will try and just BREATHE and relax more and just get through this degree. My biggest worry is working in a hospital for my internship this year for a whole year and being able to walk around the whole time. I am contemplating asking for a more sedentary placement. One day at a time! and today I took my nap since the boys are visiting their grandparents on my ex's side and I'm going to Walmart to buy some Apples and other treats. Thanks for writing to me, I appreciate the MS knowledge you have and making me feel better!

Monique
mom23angels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote