View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules A View Post
It is so nice to read this! Sometimes I feel like I am in the minority of people that went into over drive upon diagnosis rather than slowing down, lol. Perhaps it is because I wasn't raised with much but I have always been paranoid about not having enough money and wow MS has really fed into those fears which is why I'm working like a fiend for as long as I can. I need to be able to afford the nursing care I may need one day.

I think I am a bit confused about how necessary 2 masters degrees are, unless I misunderstood your OP, but if you think it will open up more opportunities for you to work if/when your MS progresses definitely go for it especially if you are able to work while you are in school.

Degrees that are used are a wonderful asset but on another board I visit I often read about people loading up on loans/debt for degree after degree without ever working in one of the fields and that doesn't seem very proactive to me.

I went back to school after being diagnosed because I also wanted a career that would offer me more flexibility. I would not have done it if I had to take a loss of income for the few years it took me to graduate though. I felt it necessary to keep working and bringing in money while the sun is shining as they say. Wishing you all the best. Jules
Jules,

Thank you for writing to me. As far as my degrees, I went for a Psych. degree about seven years ago and that provided me with a therapist job but I don't have a license and could not have my own practice (it was a one year degree).

After moving from Mass. to Florida and now Georgia I would have to take basic counselor jobs because most therapist or professional jobs require the degree to have a license so I went back to school (before I knew I had MS) and since I have a grad. assistantship I'm basically going to school for free. I didn't have symptoms for five months until December and then I had some vision blurriness that would go away after five minutes or less.

I took Betaseron for two (non consecutive months) because my school insurance stinks and I started to get numbness and hypersensitivity on my left side. My insurance is capped at $1500 a month so there is no real point in starting with them since I would be done after a month. So, I applied with a clinical site for a research study on Fingolimod and am waiting to hear back from them.

Financially I'm doing ok now and while at school and I would make lots more with this degree so I'm trying to hold out until next May. I think I can do it!! But thank you for writing back to me

Monique
mom23angels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jules A (05-25-2008)