View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I wonder if they bothered to PULL all the daylilies from the shelf?

That's the problem with the "box store" nurseries. They are not typically educated. A lot of the time if you ask them questions, they're reply is I don't usually work this department!

I am glad that you got their attention and got your money back and something to take care of the grubs.

I have a good one to tell you about a National Lawn Care Company. When I was going to school, I didn't have time to take care of my yard so I hired this well known company to keep my yard Green. I have 3/4 of an acre of grass. I had a maintenance service come in once a week to take care of the mowing, etc and this other company come in to fertilize, bug spray, etc.

About mid-way through the summer, the maintenance company owner called and told me that my back yard was 2/3 dead and he wasn't sure what was going on but it looked read bad. He didn't think it was the sprinklers b/c he checked them out and they were working fine.

I had been out of town on a job site for about 2-3 weeks so when I finally got home I was shocked at the disaster in my back yard. 2/3 of it was dead. I took one look and knew exactly what the problem was. Billbugs. I had paid for billbug application. I called this National Lawn Care company and they sent a rep out to take a look. He told me I wasn't watering my yard enough and that's why it was dead. I told him that I wanted his manager out to see me ASAP.

Next day his manager met me at my house. This guy tried to tell me that I was not watering enough, that the maintenance company was cutting my grass too short for the hot weather, that I had broken sprinklers, etc etc etc....so when I pulled up the dead grass and showed him the billbug grubs, he had the audacity to tell me they were -- are you ready for this --- fertilizer pellets!!! Since when do fertilizer pellets 1) move and 2) are long white grubs with black heads!!!

This guy just looked at me like I had 3 heads and said well....I am a Master Gardener and I know what I am talking about and I am not going to let some homeowner tell me how to do my job.

I said fine. You've lost a customer. And you've lost a lot of word of mouth referrals. I suggest you get YOUR manager on the phone and we will discuss this. He hung himself right there and then. His manager knew who I was b/c he had come to our class to speak (and recruit) and found out there and then that I had a degree in Horticulture, had passed the State Pesticide Exam and the State Herbicide Exam. This company replaced my back yard at their expense. And they refunded my entire fees for that year. And I have never been back as a customer. And I don't refer anyone to them either!

Speak up! Don't get pushed around!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote