View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 08:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Interesting, I use my service dog for bracing but never knew it was a task to be taught to him, he just does it.

I have self taught two service dogs now, basics, but used professional organization to come to my home and certify the former dog (though not required. ) They'll come and certify this one too, if we can ever coordinate our schedules and my pain!

I say, GO FOR IT! The reason I did this on my own is that no one around me understood what a dog would help me with. Since I first had the first one, and my doctors saw, they agree it was a good thing. When I had to put him down, my doctor was insistent (way ahead of time) that I DID HAVE TO REPLACE the old service dog!!!

They learn to do things for you without you having to train them, but if you treat them afterwards, they'll keep doing it.

Don't worry about what others think. And that you have someone to help keep the dog trained (a real effort for me to run him through his paces now and then so he won't get lax in response) you are ahead of the game. If you get one now, then if you do progress in your MS, he can learn new things to help you with as you need them, rather than everything at once.
good wishes!
suzyqz_2007 (06-03-2008), Twinkletoes (05-24-2008)