View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My service dog and I love SouthWest Airlines also. Just this last flight though, they didn't allot a seat for him (to use the floor to lie down on) and I had to share my foot space with him. I always sit at bulkhead, so this would normally not be an issue, but the lady next to me (I was at the window) was heavy and took up quite a bit of room to begin with. My dog is a labradoodle. He spent some of the time standing on his hind legs with the rest in my lap LOL Good thing it was a very short trip!
I travel with a power chair, so the extra time has to be built in for them to stow the chair in the cargo area. I offer to transfer into a regular chair for them to push so the flight isn't delayed just for my chair, and then there's also no chance of it being left behind! I board and watch it be loaded.
I don't like the dog vests, personally. I don't mind hanging an ID tag on his leash, but prefer to carry it with my other ID. It's important in a way, to me, to help prevent being mugged. If disability is in any way suggested, there will still be those who will circumvent the dog.
I always carry health certificates though. They aren't required when flying in state, but if we are ever diverted, it will be handy.
Thanks for the update, it came just before I returned to read too!
JD