View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 04:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I believe Aryurveda methods can help pd'ers in many ways. In taking mucuna, I did more research, and found that mucuna (been taking it for 1 1/2 yrs. now) is one of the herbs used in treating PD in Aryurveda medicine. I found an excellent Aryurveda College and treatment center in California.

I decided to try a "Pancha Karma" there.
If you're interested, I would like to share with you my experience of going through a "Pancha Karma". This was a 10 day cleansing to remove toxins out of my body. I went there last year. Pancha Karma is considered the single most powerful healing therapies utilized in Ayurvedic medicine.
It all started on May 22 with my initial 2 hour meeting with Dr. Marc Halpern, D.C., C.A.S., P.K.S. in Grass Valley, CA. He is an Ayurvedic practitioner and started the ayurveda college and healthcare center there.
During this initial visit he was able to determine my constitution. Constitution is the fundamental and unique balance of three basic energies called doshas. They are Vata, Pitta and Kapha. He also went over my medical history, how I live, act, habits, and how I go about my daily life. This initial meeting could of been done over the phone, but I wanted to meet him in person.
He started me on a very strict diet. For the next 10 days, I could only eat Kitcheree. Kitcheree is mainly rice, split mung dal (bean) with some specific spices. If hungry, in-between meals, I could have nonfat diluted yogurt with water (50/50) and raw unsalted sunflower seeds. I was allowed to add a little maple sugar to the yogurt, if I got light headed. Didn't think I could do it, but I did. He also gave me some herbs to help loosen up my digestive track.
I came back 10 days later to start my treatments. Same strict diet, with some new cleansing herbs added.
Mt treatments consisted of the following:
Every day started with an Abhyanga: This is a two person choreographed warm herbal oil massage that is designed to bring nourishment to the tissues, deep relaxation to the muscles and calmness to the mind. It also helps in the removal of toxins from the body.
Every other day I had a Shirodhara: This is a simple, yet profound treatment that works specifically on balancing and stabilizing the activity of the mind. Warm, dosha specific oils and herbs are streamed over the Ajna Chakra or third eye taking me on a journey deeeep within. So far so gooood. I was in heaven.
On the other days, I would have a Nasya: A beautiful face and shoulder massage is followed by a heat treatment using warm packs and hot towels to open the pores, improve the skins luster and clear the nasal and sinus passages. My head was tilted back for the administration of dosha specific oils to the nasal passages to normalize the absorption of prana and lift the spirit. I could actually feel the oils going behind my eyeballs even though it was administered through the nose. A very weird but calming feeling.
Next came my daily enema.... They alternated from a water enema one day (herbally decocted with Dashmool and Triphala. Meant for cleaning toxins from colon.) to having an oil enema (Sesame oil, herbaly infused with Ashwagandha and Gaducci. Meant for tonification of the colon, the home of Vata.) the next day. Finally, it all ended with a hot steamy tent over me and a well needed shower.

While I was there, they explained to me how important it is to remove the accumulated toxins (ama) from my body and to do my best in preventing it from building up again. Ama is toxins caused by what and how we eat, pollutant / toxins in our environment, stress in our life, from how we think, live and act, etc. They believe, for pd'ers, that ama is really in there deep. It has to be, in order to effect the nervous system that severely. Marc, believes that if I change my lifestyle, my diet, way of thinking, habits, etc. that my pd will stabilize and could even start reversing itself. So it really up to me now. It’s a lot more than just taking "mucuna".
They also talked about how important it is to meditate, do yoga, respect and appreciate the food you eat, proper breathing exercises, how to live in the present with joy, avoid stress, etc.
I’m just about finished with my cleansing diet now, I’m in my fourth week. I lost 15 pounds, never realized how much I was full of it. They also gave me my "Vata / Pita" (my constitution) food program.
In their bookstore, I picked up a great cookbook called: "The Ayurvedic Cookbook" by Amadea Morningstar. It also has lots of info on Ayurveda. and it lets your know which food is best for your constitution. Speaking of books, my favorite book on meditation exercises for health, well-being and enlightenment is called: "The Healing Power of Mind" by Tulku Thondup.

So it's been a year now since my Pancha Karma. Has it been worth it? Definitely, I feel a whole less toxic, my skin is healthy, no longer have cravings for McDonald's or Starbucks. Well, sometimes. I feel GREAT. My meds are a lot more effective, lasts longer, my mind is calmer and I’m enjoying life more. I’m even able to do my morning walk unmediated now, couldn’t do that before.
Oh one more thing, Marc is having me take two additional herbs to help rebuild my nervous system. He wants me to take it with my mucuna. They are:
Ashwaganda: A well-known rejuvenating tonic used in Ayurveda for stress-inducad fatigue, nervous exhaustion and general debility. Strengthens and nourishes both mind and body.
and Brahmi: Traditionally used in southern India as a rejuvenate for the nerves and brain. believed to increase mental clarity, promotes memory and intelligence.
After a couple of weeks, I was able to notice improvements in my mental capacity and clarity.

Marc gave me lots of info to read. This is my favorite and maybe the most valuable is this:
How you eat your food is even more important than what you eat. In fact, Ayurveda understands that eating is one of the most sacred experences we have. After all, when we eat our food, we are taking in the atoms and molecules that have been around in different forms since the beginning of time and asking them to become part of us. If we eat our food properly, with awareness and respect, the food joins well with our bodies. If we do not, the food has difficulty joining with our bodies causes gas and other digestive disturbances. The end result of poor digestion is ama (toxins formed from bad digestion) and this leads to disease. Hence, in Ayurveda, we try our best to make eating a form of meditation (to eat in peacefulness and with awareness).

This Pancha Karma treatment really wasn’t that hard on me. I had to rest and take it easy. No TV was allowed during these 10 days. Marc wanted me to keep my mind, spirit & body calm and relaxed. I meditated, did proper breathing exercises, read calming books, Yoga, peaceful walks in the forest, etc. He even had me do “NO TALKING” a day of silence. It was a very pleasent experience. It has helped me turn to a new page in my life.

The Ayurveda Healthcare Center I went to is located in Grass Valley, CA
530-274-9100

Max
Max19BC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (09-05-2009), EnglishCountryDancer (09-06-2009), rose of his heart (09-06-2009), ZucchiniFlower (09-08-2009)