Thread: Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

As the spouse of a recently retired airline pilot, I am in total agreement that this new policy of charging for baggage is going to cause all sorts of problems for disabled passengers. along with other groups. I cannot put my bag in the overhead bin and check my bag. While I don't pay for tickets, I do however, have to pay this surcharge for extra bags. I think it's discriminatory and ludicrous.

When our airline filed for BK, management didn't suffer one bit. We lost over half our retirement and also had to cancel our health insurance b/c we could not longer afford it. Thank goodness we had military health insurance to fall back on otherwise I don't know what we would have done...but I digress.

I realize that fuel costs have soared, but let's get real here. Management is NOT tightening their belts enough.

Groups are already calling for passengers to carry on their bags and take their time stowing them in order to cause AA to be late leaving the gate. This will get their attention. The bags are still on the plane so no weight is being changed and they won't be getting any additional revenue.

In addition, those people who CAN afford to pay the additional fees, the first class, business class, frequent fliers, etc, are not being charged this fee for their bags. It's the families, the regular middle class traveler who is scaping together the money for this flight who is being dinged the money for that bag. Not fair...not fair at all!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote