Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
You know...the pelleted fertilizers they use for long term now look alot like
eggs. And as they absorb moisture they squish too. They tend to be
off white to buff/light tan color. The better growers are now commonly using them. And I have switched to them too for all my containers. These tend to be in size just a bit larger than those round seeds you find in some pickles, but darker in color. These pelleted fertilizers do not shrink in size as they age, they become hollow. So you can see them "forever". I just repotted my planters that I use for my african daisies...and the little spheres were still there from last year. They last 3 to 4 months (the fertilizer inside that is) and commerical growers are now using them commonly I have found.

Grub eggs would be smaller I'd think.

This link says grub eggs are slightly oval.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2500.html

Wow...I have never had a critter in a soil pot from a nursery or WalMart. I think they buy locally.
I know that Meijer's for example uses a local perennial grower, who is also excellent. So it might depend on
your region...the quality etc.
(our WalMart gets really nice stuff at good prices. The pansies I bought this year and last were just spectacular)

But I did get heavily infested tropical New Guinea impatiens one year from a greenhouse.
(you know the large fancy ones) These were little black mites, much smaller than aphids, on the underside of the leaves. So I suggest everyone examine those expensive impatiens carefully. These mites were majorly tiny, and you can really only see them if they are massed in a bunch. The leaves get mottled before they fall off.
There is a huge difference between a fertilizer pellet and a billbug grub, especially when they move and crawl around in your hand!!!

WalMart does not buy locally. They buy in bulk and ship it in from wherever they get the cheapest buy, just like HomeDepot and Lowe's. If your local WalMart happens to be near the warehouse where they purchase the plant material, then you are lucky.

Here in Idaho, we have two of the largest tree, perennial, and annual growers in the mountain states. None of the box stores purchase from them. They ship their plant material in from California. As does Costco and Sams' Club. The plant material is not climatized for our elevation nor zone. It's too bad because buying locally would save on fuel and help out the local economy.

Grub/billbug

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford

Last edited by tovaxin_lab_rat; 05-26-2008 at 10:20 AM.
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote