View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Questions for those dealing with uterine fibroids

How have you chosen to treat your uterine fibroids?

A quick background - I'm 39, was dxd. with a uterine fibroid at age 28. My OB/GYN at that time recommended a hysterectomy to which I said absolutely not! Her next option for me was an abdominal myomectomy, which would still put me out of commission for 4-6 weeks, even though I had done my research and knew that I could possibly have a laparascopic myomectomy. The option she didn't recommend (the one I chose of course) was a wait and see approach. Since my fibroid is on the outside of my uterus, I've never had *any* problems.

Fast forward to now. 11 years later but my fibroid has continued to grow, albeit slowly. I still have no problems other than an increased feeling of pressure and on occasion, some bladder issues. The main problem I've had here recently is looking like I'm pregnant. LOL It's just uncomfortable and I'm tired of dealing with it.

So, I'm curious to see how others have dealt with fibroids. I'm still ruling out a hysterectomy - I might feel differently if I was older. I've read all about uterine artery embolization but not sure that's the one for me. The one I'm very excited about is the MR guided ultrasound surgery which is done outpatient, there's no incisions to heal and you can resume normal activities in a day. Unfortunately there's not a facility close to me that currently offers that procedure and there's the other issue of getting my insurance to cover it.

I've also ordered a supplement called Fibrovan - I figured it couldn't hurt and might possibly buy me some time.

Any comments and personal experiences are greatly appreciated!
MSCherokee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote