View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 12:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Now my turn to ask for serious help

I am feeling overwhelmed by one particular aspect of my life, an issue that contributed greatly to the marriage-busting stress I've been going through..I have had medical insurance under my husband's job since I was diagnosed - indeed that's why we married initially. He has been out of work for a year and a half and is finding it difficult to find another job for various reasons and our insurance which was extended under Cobra will expire in October...

I have been trying to look into what the alternatives might be - I work only very part-time, very-well paid for what I do, but it's been about the fullest commitment I have been able to manage in recent years because of the on-off fluctuations and unpredictable dystonia. Even though I have been improving and feeling much better with certain changes in my meds regimen, I am not sure I could handle more of a time commitment at my job right now.

Given the way things are going, with deductibles and co-pays ever-rising, pre-existing conditions ever more scrutinized, and more prescription costs being shifted to the patient, I think I am probably basically uninsurable in this country, even if I remarry at this point (boyfriend is working but uninsured at this point also). But does anyone know of a good source of up-to-date info about medical insurance and my options? I feel as though I should be able to find it myself, but I feel exhausted and overwhelmed when I try. The Actors Fund of New York was very helpful when I found out about disability options (basically none unless I totally retiire from work, which I don't want to do because I love my job, and wanted to keep contributing to society in some way - and didn't want to lie about being completely disabled - have also been caring part-time for both my aged parents who have been in and out of the hospital over the past year or so -mom is wheelchair bound), so perhaps the Actors Fund can help me again on this issue. But I wanted to ask if any of you USA people know of a good clearinghouse of up-to-the-minute info and advice on this. All the Parkinson's organizations that I called seemed woefully unable to offer solid advice or direct me, including the social worker for my neurologist...

I was born in England, so could get a British passport in theory, and may have to consider relocating....I just don't want to leave it to the last second in October to figure out what I have to or can do...Any ideas about who to consult for advice would be appreciated.
thank you all.
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote