View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

all of you, thanks so much for input.

Steve, yes, your explanation of your own circumstances is very helpful in its clarity alone...

My situation is that I work VERY part-time also - but I get paid a lot for that amount of time, but it adds up to only a few hundred dollars a month...The way I have been able to work out my job currently is by the skin of my teeth, because most of the time it is very minimal time that I teach (two classes a week for most of the year.) I have other skills, and perhaps the school, who loves me, would be willing to hire me part-time to do some kind of administration enuf to qualify for their insurance plan. My fear is that with this pre-existing condition, that I wouldn't be coverable at all.

But Steve, what I understand about disability is that you have to be totally disabled for some time period before you can then add back a liitle income, up to $900 or so a month...But the thing is because I teach something as athletic as dance, I wonder if they will keep believing me about being disabled the rest of the time and how to explain that the on and off periods are totally unpredictable and wipe me out frequently....that has been the case anyway until recently, now changing quite a bit with considerable improvement with the use of mucuna and some other destressing and dietary adjustments...but we'll see.

Also my job is not possible to be kept under the table because part of its value to my employer is to be able to list me as faculty publicly....

So Rick, I read your previous post about mobile home sales - a unique idea - and Steve your stock business as well....I recently read a book about starting a home business on the internet that was quite galvanizing - maybe I could try that while we still have any kind of viable economy at all....

But the idea of being totally uninsurable to me is pretty daunting. I'm sure my story is one of many, many more to come.... So I hope my path can help some others, too....
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote