View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Also, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but does anyone have any knowledge or information about iron deficiency? My GI docs nurse said that he wants me taking the max amount of Ferrous Sulfate (325 mg three times per day) because I'm very iron deficient and he doesn't want to see me back for two months to check the iron levels again. Is this normal? From what I've read, there has to be a reason for iron deficiency (malabsorption, blood loss, etc.) and that should be investigated right away. I do take daily asprin for a blood clotting disorder so I am wondering if I might be losing blood somewhere inside. Should I wait the two months or try to get someone to check this out sooner? I hate to question what my Dr.'s are telling me to do but I don't want to take any unnecessary chances. Am I over reacting?
I think you should rule out blood loss right away. I think that the asprin could be causing intestinal bleeding. My MIL was taking coumodin and asprin together at the advice of her doctor here. She was getting weak and anemic. She was visiting her daughter in Florida, and finally she felt so bad they had to take her to the hospital. They figured it out pretty much right away, being used to working with the older population, and said that you shouldn't take asprin on top of another blood thinner, coumodin! They scoped her, and found out she was having bleeding in her digestive tract. Once she stopped taking the asprin, that pretty much cleared up her problems.

By the way, you should always question what your doctors are doing. They are not infallable. I don't think you are over reacting at all!

Claire