View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I too was young. Born in 1958. But my brothers 'turned me on' to groovy music. My brothers had a band in the basement & I would sit on the steps & listen. They played "House of the Rising Sun" (there is a house in new orlens they call the rising sun) & others. Many musicians are/were far out. My favorite is Eric Clapton & his (Derick & the Dominoes) "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" (But that came out in 1970). Duanne Allman played on that one (He died in 1971). My sis & I had a picture of Greg Allman on our wall. (These ppl started in the 60's. Clapton was in other bands first) I would hurry & finish supper so I could sit infront of the TV watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. The Doors were on once cuz though Ed said not to, they sang "higher" (girl we couldn't get much higher) or some prodocative word.
(You know the guys that play like these, I listen to them) The Rolling Stones were not as cute as the Beatles & Paul, most said (lol).
('Clapton is God') I still see writen on walls (I hear he hates that).
---------------------------------------------------------------
I just went down the basement & found a magazine with an article on 1968...

5000 women march on Washington to demand an end to Vietnam war

Jerry Rubin & Abbie Hoffman establish the Yippies

Feb 1 that guy takes the famous photo of S.Vietnamese policeman 'blowing off' the head of a Vietcong prisoner (I bet it's on the net)

Peggy Fleming wins the Gold at figure skating

911 came into usage

Janis Joplin makes the cover of Rolling Stone

President Johnson announces he will not seek reelection

M. L. King is assasinated in Memphis

beuro of Narcotics & Dangerous Drugs is formed

"Hair" the love-rock musical comes out, breaking taboos with it's anti-war message & nude scene

"Mrs. Robbinson" by S & G reaches #1

First cash dispensing machine...ATM

"One Life To Live" (soap opera) starts

"You've Come a Long Way Baby" marketing for Virginia Slims, ad, begins

Steppenwolf performs at Newport Pop Festival & sings "Born To Be Wild"

Woman's Lib group rally outside Miss America pageant (BTW: there was never any bra burning--they couldn't get fire permit. They wanted to burn all things that said woman..bras, aprons, pantyhose, etc.)

Nixon performs on "Laugh-In"

"60 Minutes" & 1st jumbo jet (747) 'begin'

Apollo 7 makes history as it launches into orbit with a live telecast system (for Tom lol)

Johnson announces a halt to all bombing of North Vietnam by the US military

Shirley Chisolm becomes 1st black woman elected to congress

the Pantsuit is gaining in popularity

1st Womans Lib Conferance in Chicago (I guess thats where they tried to burn stuff)

Elivis' 1st telivision special & millions tune in

invention of the Word Processor

"Oliver" the musical film, comes out

Julie Nixon marries David Eisenhower

Apollo 8 reads from the Old Testament ending a tumulous year on a peaceful and hopeful note

lor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (06-03-2008)