Thread: New
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Hello,
I'm new here. I was recently diagnosed with RSD in my right wrist. It kinda sucks too since I'm right handed. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it actually takes for RSD to show up? I was injured at work on March 2nd, and like a week after I got hurt I started having all the problems that I have now. I was also wondering for those with RSD do you get shooting pains? Because I get some shooting pains clear up to my shoulder. The pain seems to bounce around my wrist/hand. There are days that are really good days where there isn't to much pain, there are days with mild to moderate pain, then I have those really horrible days where I can't seem to do anything with my arm.
There is no set time that RSD shows up after suffering an injury or from surgery. It started for me 2 weeks after I broke my knee, a friend of mine started her rsd symptoms the day after she was hurt at work.

RSD pain can be described as burning, sharp,shooting,stabbing. My pain is all of the above. LOLOL It moves all over my body, I have it full body, or if I'm having pain in say just my leg, I can feel the "start" of the pain at the bottom of my thigh and it'll shoot up into my hip. It's definitely aggravating! We all have good days and bad days for sure. Some days we can barely function other days we're able to get up and do something. All of it is very normal for rsd.

Quote:
I have been experiencing a lot of muscle fatigue lately, where it hurts and takes a lot of strength and energy just to even move my fingers. Is this a part of RSD, and if it is what does that mean? That i'm over working it? Because a lot of times I barely do anything with my hand/wrist and I have that happen. The muscle fatigue happens just below my wrist and extends back towards the elbow. I also have the problem of being able to lay my arm down on anything. Some days it just hurts so bad that I can't even put my elbow down on anything without sharp shooting pains up to my wrist and hand. I am still working because the doctor strongly believes that I will get over this even though I told him that when I'm at work it gets worse. Believe me I know how it sounds because I got hurt at work, but I'm telling the truth. My hand and wrist swells up, I start to feel every step I take in my wrist, my hand/wrist get shiny, my knuckles get all red, depending where I'm at at work or what I'm doing depends on what color it turns. Like I have to stock the cooler and pull stuff out of the freezer, so when I'm in there my hand and wrist turns all purple. When I'm out making coffee stocking the store and cleaning my hand/wrist turns a blotchy red. It kinda looks more like a rash, that is the best way I can describe it. But when it does the red my whole wrist/hand doesn't turn it is only a part of it. I have people at work telling me that I need to see if I can get on disablity. I really don't want to do that. I want to work, I get so bored sitting at home. Anyway, this is really starting to hurt.

Thanks

P.S. I have a 5 yr old and a 6 month old. It gets really hard to try and take care of them. Luckily my 5 yr old is pretty self sufficient, and my hubby can only do so much to help me.
Feeling muscle fatigue, all of what you described, the discoloration, shiny skin, swelling, etc is all a part of the rsd. Feeling it doesn't mean you're overusing it at all, just another part of it. The one thing you must do is keep using your hand. There's a saying for rsd, "If you don't use it, you WILL lose it". It's ok to rest your limb, you do want to take care not to overdo it because this makes the fatigue feeling and pain worse.

I agree with Ada that you should be getting stellate ganglion blocks ASAP. You have only had it for 2 months and this is the time to get the blocks and some physical therapy (if needed), to possible get it into remission. The earlier it's treated the better chance you have.

You didn't say what kind of doc you have but if you're not seeing a pain management doctor then you want to get into one as soon as possible to get blocks done.

If you have any more questions, ask away!

Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote