View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Howard,
I had surgery like yours, but at 2 levels - C6/7.
I was lucky to have a husband and 14yr old son (who happened to be on holidays the 3 weeks after surgery) to be around for company and help in the house. However I would say that you could manage without in-house support if you prepare meals and freeze them before hand etc. I was probably house-bound for a couple of days after after surgery - mainly sitting (with walks around the house every half hour) watching tv. Reading was harder because of the neck, but I did manage it in short bursts holduing the book at face level. Really I guess if I had to I could have made myself sandwiches and meals. You aren't bed bound - maybe I was just a little unmotivated because I had help.
The pain was controlled initially with 3 days meds from the hospital and then more meds from my GP. There were gentle theraputic exercises (eg slowly moving the neck to left and right) and instructions not to lift more than 5lbs in weight.
I met up with friends for coffee after about 3 days and walked around the supermarket - but rested when I got home. I guess I was 'tired' for the first 2 weeks.
After 3 weeks I could drive (though some say 4 weeks, but I had to get my son to school), with reversing being a bit of a strain on the neck.
I was told that a worker in heavy industry might be absent for 6 weeks; while a general (eg. office) worker might be off for 4 weeks.
I am still recovering after 8 weeks, though I have the energy to do everything I normally would - but I gratefully accepted my GPs offer to arrange 20 sessions of hydrotherapy and 20 of physiotherapy at a local rehab hopital, as I still need painkillers and do not have the full range of movement. This could even take up to a year to resolve itself (if it is going to - otherwise I will then have to say that surgery was unsuccesful).
Good luck with your decision. Go with your instinct - if you are used to living alone and caring for yourself, I'd say you'd manage the situation pretty well. Don't be afraid to call on friends for things like lifts to places, company and general help!
kaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote