Thread: Support Groups
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Dale,

When I was first diagnosed and looked for a support group, I had all the normal fears. I didn't want to see people who were more progressed and depressed! And that's exactly what I saw at my first meeting. It was not good.

Fortunately I decided to make the trip to Washington, DC for the NPF young-onset conference. While I saw many who were struggling, I also met many who truly inspired me.

Recently, I started a young-onset group here in my area because one didn't exist. We met today and my heart was saddened as we had a new member who was an emotional wreck and was really struggling. You feel helpless because you want to "fix" that person but realize they have to deal with their situation in their own way. I just hope myself and the group were a positive enough experience for this person so they can move forward with less struggle in their life.

I'm all for support groups. It's just a matter of finding the right fit and sometimes that takes time and effort. In the end though, I think it's truly worth it. You're always going to have some heavy emotions to deal with but at least with a support group of your fellow PD peers, you're surrounded by those that truly understand. In my mind, or what's left of it anyway, that's better than being isolated and alone.

Todd
PDTalks.com

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote