View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face Oh, they are not widening

the street. They had to rip out the old curbs, and there had to be room for
the NEW curb forms etc. So that meant 30 inches off my front gardens.
Some of it was slate stepping stone, and one step, that were removed.
The LARGE rocks, my son helped us with a month ago, but the plants
were pretty much out of range...just some affected.

This was a city project to repair all the sewers, which were put in around
1935. Our water line was fixed 5 yrs ago, and the closest part of the garden,
was replanted then. People who were not copper were totally dug out.
Fortunately we were upgraded to copper when the last one was done.
The SE portion of Michigan has had a total sewer redo because run off from the older suburbs like us, was polluting Lake St. Clair. So for the last 10 yrs or so
the massive new sewer was dug, and now the community level work had to be done to match up with the new pipes.

I have a wildflower garden across the street..there are no homes there
since it is the flood plain for a small river (which you cannot see)..it is down a hill. I have trillium, mertensia, may apples, myrtle, day lillies, lemon balm,
some Chinese Lanterns, etc over there...naturalized. They dug up about 30 inches of that too. I sort of wish they would widen the street, since it is soooo narrow...you'd think with all this work, we could squeeze out 12 inches so the garbage truck etc could get down there. But NOOOOO... no planning ahead like that!

We have had 4 wks of this so far, 4 water shut offs, can't park our cars, etc.
Yesterday the breaking up of the cement curbs shook the whole house!
I've had it with it.

They haven't "damaged" much... just told us how much to move. They are leaving rocks on the premises for homes where the people are not home.
No repair for the garden. It is technically illegal to plant on the easement, but I got special permission, since our area is woodsey and natural. So they felt I could be exempted since the garden looks better than grass. It was too hard to mow a small plat of grass and then carry the mower up 20 stairs to the back yard. (we live on a hill). So I made it nicer, anyway, with flowers etc.
The plants all bloom at different times, so something is always going on there.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tovaxin_lab_rat (05-28-2008)