View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Hearing~~Do Certain Sounds Make You Cringe?

I've noticed over the past couple of years that my sense of hearing has gotten much more sensitive - especially to loud or shrill noises.

Pre-MS even the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard didn't phase me. Now, even the vacuum cleaner is too much some days.

My neighbor has a Mustang GT and he starts it everyday about 3 PM before he leaves for work. He lets it idle out in the driveway for a few minutes. That low growl it makes drives me batty. I have to stay away from that side of the house until he leaves. Sounds like that never bothered me before.

I went out to dinner with my boys the night before last and they were getting ready for a large party and were pushing tables together and moving chairs. The sound of the chairs being dragged across the floor was almost too much. I had to put my elbows on the table and put my fingers in my ears until they finished!!

I was in Publix and the alarm on the chicken fryer in the deli went off (just a high pitched beep) and I had to walk over to the other side of the store to get away from it. I actually got dizzy from this noise!!

Seems like everyday there is a new noise I cannot tolerate. Guess I should invest in some earplugs. Maybe I'll just lift the ones they give me for the MRI machine next time I go for one!!! Funny thing is.....all that banging and clanging the MRI machine makes doesn't really bother me!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (05-29-2008), Vonn07 (05-29-2008), weegot5kiz (05-29-2008)