Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley View Post
So today I went to the eye doc to discuss havign Lasik for my nearsightedness. Apparently I am a candidate.

One of the outcomes in most people is Dry eyes. So this doc (who was the director of the center at one of the top 5 eye centers in the country) said to avoid that we start people on a supplement for dry eyes...you can help it by swallowing this pill as opposed to eye drops or in addition to them.

It was called BioTears by Biosyntrx. I looked at it further and it uses Omega 6 essential Fatty Acids and GLA.

Interesting that they are promoting it as a nutraceutical for dry eyes.
There is a PubMed article by Basel pharm corp on using fatty acids for
eye twitching.
Quote:
1: Neuropsychobiology. 2000;41(3):154-7.Click here to read Links
The control of blepharospasm by essential fatty acids.
Mostofsky DI, Yehuda S, Rabinovitz S, Carasso R.

Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel. dmostof@bu.edu

Dopamine depletion induced by administration of Ro4-1284 produces a condition of rapid and repeated eye blinking in rats. This condition mimics the human disorder, blepharospasm, which often accompanies parkinsonism and other dopamine deficiency disorders. When given a 3-week course of a compound (SR-3) developed from a specific ratio of two free polyunsaturated fatty acids - linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid - the eye blinking rate following administration of Ro4-1284 is reduced to saline and no drug control levels. These results suggest a favorable prospect for essential fatty acids in general, and SR-3 in particular, to provide an improved therapeutic option for the clinical management of benign essential blepharospasm. Copyright 2000 S. Karger AG, Basel

PMID: 10754430 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
One needs EFAs to maintain the function and repair of mucous membranes!

Here is a link with ingredients...I had trouble finding this information-- this is incomplete and does not have
amounts--
http://www.medcompare.com/details/45...l-GelCaps.html

Notice it has P5P instead of B6 pyridoxine
and also magnesium! (One needs both to properly metabolize the EFAs.)
It is a nice product-- but I'd have to know quantities of each in order to endorse it.
It is not inexpensive either.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote