View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 03:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thoughts to consider in making your decision

I've been looking through the archives from Braintalk.

A couple of comments that haven't been mentioned.

I've taken out the "authors names".

I've had the spinal cord stimulator "offered" to me twice in the last year. The first time was last year at the Cleveland Clinic. I saw a well-known pain management doc who spent almost no listening time with me but was quick to talk about the SCS and insisted that I take a video home. I felt like he was marketing the machine. I learned virtually nothing about my condition from him, except that he thought the SCS was my last hope. Two weeks after returning home, I received a call from one of his office people, asking if I planned to get the SCS. I laughed and replied, "Oh, I thought you were calling to see how I was feeling"!!! LOL Then proceeded to tell her I wasn't interested.

The second "offer" was last week, when I saw a pain management doc here. It was his opinion, also, that SCS is my only hope for pain relief. This was AFTER I'd told him the story about the Cleveland Clinic doc who'd sounded like a Medtronic salesperson! You guessed it--a few days later I got a call from his office telling me that I needed an appointment for some sort of test before I could have the SCS implanted! I had to laugh again, as I'd given that doc no indication that I wanted it. BTW, this doctor told me that the cost, including implantation, is $43,000! That would be out of pocket for me, as my insurance doesn't cover this pre-existing condition!!

Have any of you had a similar experience with big-time marketing of the SCS? For those of you who have now, or who have had an SCS implanted, please don't misunderstand my intention. We all have to make choices, and I may have to make that one someday, just not now. I'm cynical about this--can you tell?! I just don't like, or trust, medical personnel who treat chronic pain sufferers like they, we, are stupid!!!

And...another one...

As a matter of fact I have, and know of a lot more who have also been told it was their last option..Either the SCS, or the Medtronic infusion pump..Well the reason being is that I know some Dr.'s gets $25,000.00 from the company for everyone he implants.... That, my friend, is the reason Dr's preach to us about it being our last option..It isn't really that we HAVE to have it, or that it is our LAST option, it is because it puts $25,000.00 in their pocket..So, don't think your DR. is a so concerned, and worried me, type of dr, when it comes to those 2 things,because it is $$$$$$ that they are concerned about...lol .....

I know that this is alarming. But Marketing is a big Issue! And I'm unsure if you are going to Clev. Clinic or not. Not that I personally have any opinion about Clev. Clinic or their doctors on staff. Just that they have been mentioned so many times throughout the years regarding implantation of SCS.

I believe that you should have as much material and opinions available to you. I spent hours going through the archives, knowing that I would find this point of view.

I'm leaving the members names out, because they have not been active for years so I can not ask their permission. In my opinion, legally, if it's in the archive, it's ok for me to copy and paste here. My apology to the writer, if they recognise their post and they have a problem w/ me helping our new member. No harm was intended. Just support.

Dana
himomdp is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote