View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Possible jaw dislocation or dental problem?

I am 27 and a few months ago I had a wisdom tooth removed - top right. This, I was told was a very difficult extraction, it took around twenty minutes of serious pulling and a lot of jaw discomfort, as the roots of the tooth were curled over the next tooth.
Since then, I have been experiencing worsening discomfort in the left jaw joint/temple area. It feels like it is in spasm and I find myself clenching constantly - even if I try to relax it won't!!! The last few weeks, it has become very difficult to get comfortable at all, I am unable to sleep - between the pillow feeling like a rock on this jaw, and the clenching waking me... Today however, the muscle of my cheek became very tender to touch, and I feel as though it is becoming increasingly difficult to even hold a conversation - it hurts and just feels like too much effort.
Then the right side began to crack like crazy (I have been able to hear that for a while - but today it became an external sound that all could hear) and suddenly there was this massive crunch which sounded like a bone breaking - my mother heard this and thinks perhaps it is dislocated?!
Since the massive crack, it now sounds like more of a "liquid" noise in the joints.
I do have hypermobility (habitual dislocation) of both shoulders - I don't know whether this could at all be related but thought it was best to mention as the liquid sound is somewhat similar to what I hear in my shoulders.

I have been taking a light anti spasmodic for the pain, in hope that it will loosed this feeling in the joint, but to no avail.
I would also like to know if I should see a GP or a dentist?
HayleyJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote