View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

There are some things to seriously consider, Weeb. First, dollar value per sq. ft. Most of those buildings are privately owned by corporations whose objective is to capitalize on the gov't subsidy. The standard, unsubsidized rent will be the highest per sq. ft. that the market can bear. The subsidized rent is 33% of the tenant's entire income, the rest, the gov't pays without questions.

Second, you have to apply and prove that you are disabled to be accepted in most of them. If you are not receiving social security disability income, I have no idea how you'd go about proving it to them.

Next, the ratio of under-62-yrs. tenants is generally 10% of the entire building and the wait for an opening is typically one or more years.

The quality of the building will generally be minimal and sound will easily travel through walls and doorways. Interior hallways are very stuffy in colder months as the elderly tend to use higher heat settings.

As a younger person, you will be a veritable novelty to the general population and they will want to know everything they can about your business for discussion fodder during bingo.

Your neighbors will want to visit often, have a good look at your interior and spend lots of quality time with you. They are rarely shy about interrogating you on every opportunity. Your privacy will be pecked at on a daily basis, you will receive baked goods often, some pretty good, many questionable.

The average size of these apts. is between 600-800 sq. ft., that is very small and you'll feel it!

The quality of the building maintenance is all over the spectrum, most in this category are pretty good because the occupants care about their community and the management can't afford to lose their subsidies agreement.

You can learn more about this kind of building at the HUD page, here:
http://www.hud.gov/

Why/how do I know this? I spent the bulk of my 30s in one!

Your best bet is to make an appointment with the property manager and go over your qualifications for residency there.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (06-01-2008), BaxterTheBunny (06-01-2008), braingonebad (06-04-2008), Dejibo (06-04-2008), DM (06-04-2008), Jappy (06-02-2008), Jules A (06-01-2008), Kitty (06-02-2008), Koala77 (06-01-2008), MSacorn (06-01-2008), NurseNancy (06-03-2008), SallyC (06-01-2008), sheena (06-01-2008), tkrik (06-02-2008), Victor H (06-01-2008)