Thread: Support Groups
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hope no ones see this as preaching. I just feel strongly about the difference between sitting down and continuing standing up and move forward.

Clognition...we have probably all heard that word, which our own GregW coined a couple of years ago. We all suffer from it. It is the primary reason I quit working six...yikes...years ago...can't believe it has been that long. (Carey writes about it on her website www.clognition.com)

Searching for words it one of the hardest issues I personally deal with. I am over being embarrassed about it, or maybe it is just that the people who know me best at just tolerant of me. Not just the saying of the word I want to use, but the spelling of the word I want to us. Here at the computer, one of the tools I have begun to employ is www.dictionary.com. I use Firefox as my browser, which has a Bookmark Toolbox Folder...meaning it allows you to have a bar across the top of your browser for the bookmarks I use the most; e.g. BT2. I have dictionary.com there.

When I am strugging with a word...the word or the spelling...I go there and type in what my brain is thinking. Sometimes it takes me a while to find the word or the spelling, but it has been very helpful.

Familiar...the lose of...this is also one of the hardest for most of us to deal with. The lose of some of my familiars...normal gait...lose of job...lose of liveable single household income...lose of smooth penmanship...lose of simply standing up from a chair without thinking about it first...lose of turning over in bed without thinking about it first...lose of feels refreshed after hours of sleeping...lose of an empty medicine chest...lose of going through a day without medication...lose of not thinking about swallowing...lose of going up and down stairs without thinking about it first...lose of walking across uneven ground without thinking about it first and plotting a good path...I could go on.

Another quote loosely relative to the "familar" quote is: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." ~ Yogi Berra

We all came to a fork in the road when we were diagnosed...right? We could choose to continue along the path we came from, which means angrily battling to keep what WAS familiar...like my 52 year old friend...eventually giving up and sitting down, permanently.

Or, we can take the new path at the fork in the road, like me and my 74 yr old friend) and do the best we can to continue to live a full life, incorporating our ever changing limitations into our life...sort of a partnership with an irritating friend who you just can't shake loose.

See my signature quote below...
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote