Old 10-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Lara

yes, you are right that the trigger aspect often is viewed with negativity, when excitement and happy anticipation etc can also bring on an increase of tics!

interestingly, although many people do find they have a photosensitive tic trigger, my son hardly tics at all when he is absorbed in a video or computer game, yet going to the cinema is a big tic trigger for him..........but he really loves movies and going with his friends and so that is one trigger we just let be. He has learned to supress the vocals while at the movies but sure lets them out here afterward! :

in our family, we are very accepting of the tics (husband and son have TS) and we sure dont obsess about trying to stop them. However, some of the known tic triggers can make my son's tics become injurious or debilitating, and so my focus on avoiding those as much as possible is more protective rather than obsessive

I have actually just linked to your It's OK to Tic post here on the Latitudes Forum in the hope of helping a very worried mom get a fresh perspective.
i know when I first read it back on the old MGH board, it sure helped me

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by Chemar; 10-22-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote