View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 07:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Question about RA (also and Autoimmune disease?)

Hi all:

I am about to have the blood tests for RA Rheumatoid Arthritis, which I have learned is also auto immune.

I was a dancer years ago, but I doubt that had anything to do with this. For about 9 months now (maybe longer) both my ankles have been swelling like crazy. Both my ankles and both my wrists and hurt terribly (Excrucating is a betetr word). There is really nothing that helps (tylenol, aspirin, motrin). The only place that is really swollen is the ankles, though. On both sides there are these lumps ("nodules", I guess?). The lumps are just below the actual ankle.. It almost looks like I am retaining water but it is more "solid".. Hope that makes sense.

What I am concerned about is that it seems that the only treatment for RA is steroids from all I read. I cannot take steroids. Never have been able to use them for MS as I have intensely negative reactions (it is even on my medicalert bracelet).. No doc (even in the worst of flares will touch me with steroids! What will I do if I come up positive for RA?

Anyone familiar with this that can offer any suggestions?

Thanks in addvance!

Healing Hugs

Maria
PoohandPigletsMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote