View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevchcgo View Post
I wanted to write and thank everyone for their posts and information regarding the L-4 - S-1 fusion, especially KiwiMike. I am having a laminectomy and L4/S-1 fusion this Thursday, 3/27. My surgeon wants me to walk some each day and gradually get it up to 3 miles in 3 months. That seems like an awful lot!

Isn't the fusion complete after 6 months? I'm a little scared of the pain and will be on the morphine pump in the hospital, and then, he said likely percocet and muscle relaxers for I don't know how long at home.

Anyway, you have all relieved some of my pre-surgery anxiety and I thank you for that!

Bev
No worries Bev, i hope it has been successful for you, don't fear the pain, its a small price to pay for the freedom you will get and trust me ,it will go quite quickly.The fusion can complete after 6 months, but for full stability and strength to return to your back i have been told to allow 12 months at least. I guess some people will heal quicker than others, but as a general rule of thumb and from my experience i would allow 12 months for a full fusion recovery.

Last edited by kiwimike; 06-02-2008 at 11:04 AM.
kiwimike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (05-28-2010)