Thread: Concering dairy
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ah neat! I think goats are so sweet. Always loved the "kids" in the county fair.

I'm still thinking on the casein alergy thing myself. The interesting thing is, there are 20 different proteins in cow milk, no consensus on which one is the problem.
http://www.allergyclinic.co.nz/guides/43.html

Quote:
Goat Milk

In some countries, goat milk has traditionally been recommended for patients with cow’s milk allergy. Goat milk is not nutritionally complete. It is a poor source of certain vitamins, especially folic acid and vitamins B6, B12, C, and D, but is rich in minerals. Goat and cow’s milk share identical epitopes (allergens). As a result, goat milk is usually not tolerated by children with cow’s milk allergy.
and

Quote:
Isolated milk protein allergens

Cow's milk contains at least 20 protein components that may provoke an antibody response in man. The milk protein fractions traditionally have been subdivided into casein and whey fractions. The caseins are generally found in micellar complexes, which give milk its "milky" appearance & constitute 76-86% of the protein in cow's milk. The casein fraction is precipitated from skim milk by acid at pH 4.6. The noncasein fraction, or whey, accounts for 20% of total milk protein. It consists of β -lactoglobulin (9% of total milk protein), α -lactalbumin (4%), bovine immunoglobulin (2%), bovine serum albumin (1%), and minute amounts of various proteins (lactoferrin, transferrin, lipases, etc. that collectively make up 4% of the total milk protein). Extensive heating denatures several of the whey proteins. Many authors have investigated the allergenicity of the milk proteins, but still with little consensus. The problem is that, virtually all commercial sources of whey are contaminated with casein proteins, and vice versa. Utilizing RAST with purified milk proteins, Hoffman concluded that β -lactoglobulin was the major allergen in cow's milk. Other studies have demonstrated IgE antibodies to α -lactalbumin, β -lactoglobulin, bovine serum albumin, and bovine gamma globulin in most milk-allergic patients. However, recent studies utilizing sera from children with milk challenge-confirmed hypersensitivity have suggested that caseins are the most allergenic milk proteins. In a recent study by Docena et al casein-specific IgE was found in 80/80 children sera, β -lactoglobulin-specific IgE in 10/80, and α -lactalbumin in 5/80. Hugh Sampson's recent study of 69 milk-allergic children confirmed the importance of casein as a major milk allergen and also demonstrated significant reactivity to α -lactalbumin and β -lactoglobulin.
I was looking for info on what animals produce which caseins. I'm a little under the impression that a given milk may consist of multiple types of caseins.

Quote:
Proteins account for approximately 75 % of the nitrogen-containing compounds in breastmilk. Non-protein nitrogen substances include urea, nucleotides, peptides, free amino acids, and DNA. The proteins of breastmilk can be divided into two categories: micellar caseins and aqueous whey proteins, present in the ratio of about 40:60 [8]. The predominant casein of human milk is b-casein, which forms micelles of relatively small volume and produces a soft, flocculent curd in the infant's stomach. The major whey proteins are a-lactalbumin, lactoferrin, secretory IgA, and serum albumin [8], with a large number of other proteins present in smaller amounts. Secretory IgA is the principal immunoglobulin of breastmilk. It is synthesized in the mammary epithelial cell by the coupling of two IgA molecules, produced locally by lymphocytes resident in the breast tissue, with two proteins, J-chain and secretory component [8]. The specificity of breastmilk secretory IgA antibodies reflects the mother's exposure to mucosal infection and is independent of the specificity profile of blood-borne IgA [9]. Many of the proteins in breastmilk have a multitude of potential functions. Lactoferrin, for example, transports and promotes the absorption of iron, is bacteriostatic to a range of organisms, and acts as a nutritional protein, producing amino acids for absorption on digestion [8, 10].
http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food/8F174e/8F174E04.htm

Haven't figured that one out yet, but I suspect if you're intolerant to one type of casein, you can't escape it by drinking another sort of milk.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote