View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithS View Post
Holly --I haven't; I've thought about contacting an attorney.

But, I just want this to be over. I don't want the job back. I didn't ever want to work as a para forever; it was a job with convenient hours while my kids were still home, and one has graduated from HS, and the other will next year. I also don't want to continue to work for someone who doesn't want me there.

The only other reason to contact an attorney might be to sue, and I don't wish to go that route. Besides, I know that he works with his attorney closely on HR matters, and my job is renewable on an annual basis. My guess is that he can terminate paras, just like he can probably terminate untenured teachers, without having or giving a reason. He's probably made sure that he's on firm legal ground.

In related news, I went to see a disability attorney today. I found out that receiving disability takes much more time than I expected: 2 or 2-1/2 yrs instead of what I thought might take 6 months. So, I may need to look for a part time job after all. Just don't quite know what to do. I had hoped to get on disability and volunteer in something meaningful. I hope that there are meaningful part time jobs that I can get in my small city.

~ Faith
Faith, Getting disability does not always take 2 to 2 1/2 years for approval. I was awarded mine within 6 months of going out of work and on the first try. Of course I was very pro-active with my application and made sure everything the reviewer might need for documentation was attached and I hand delivered the whole thing to my SSDI office. Doing that makes a big difference, as they can't stall you with the "I never received whatever...blah, blah, blah.". I also never had to put up with the "We're still waiting for your doctor to provide.......".

Get your ducks in order and apply ASAP. You just might not have to wait so long for approval. Besides, you can't be working at all if your going to have any chance at getting approved. Taking on part time hours could hurt your chances.

Carolyn
prettypearlgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote