View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypearlgirl View Post
Faith, Getting disability does not always take 2 to 2 1/2 years for approval. I was awarded mine within 6 months of going out of work and on the first try. Of course I was very pro-active with my application and made sure everything the reviewer might need for documentation was attached and I hand delivered the whole thing to my SSDI office. Doing that makes a big difference, as they can't stall you with the "I never received whatever...blah, blah, blah.". I also never had to put up with the "We're still waiting for your doctor to provide.......".

Get your ducks in order and apply ASAP. You just might not have to wait so long for approval. Besides, you can't be working at all if your going to have any chance at getting approved. Taking on part time hours could hurt your chances.

Carolyn
Carolyn -- Thanks for your input/information. I have some questions, and some comments, that I hope you respond to, if that's OK.

1. Did you apply recently (in the last year or 2), or longer ago? The attorney[s office told me that it is more difficult to be approved quickly than it used to be. That, generally, only 10% of applicants get approved without an appeal, and most applicants have to appeal a second time, and wait for a court date.

2. Tell me more about being pro-active. I was planning on applying online, as that seems to be a quick way to apply. If you were approved on the first try, you likely did not use an attorney, since you did not need to appeal. Did you contact your doctors, to make sure that they turned things in quickly?

3. It is disconcerting that working at all could hurt my chances of having my application approved. I could do that if I knew it would only take six months.
If it appears that there is a good chance that it can take over 2 years to be approved, I am not sure if it is a financial option to not work part time. I could keep my gross pay under the alloted $900. The only other option I can think of is to borrow against our universal life insurance policy.

I don't think that, otherwise, we can make ends meet with one income. Maybe, with both kids leaving home soon, expenses will be enough less that that might be more doable than I think. But I don't believe that we spent my whole income on them.

I can't work full time, because of my fatigue. It's not horrible, but, after a 6 or 6 1/2 hour day, I need a nap, and I am often drowsy during the day. I thought that working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week was a pretty significant thing. I am still bothered by the not working at all idea, because I am just not so sure how well that could work for us. Even if I don't work, I'd wish to volunteer outside the home, and, as I understand it, SSA asks you to fill out forms about your daily activities. How would that be different. I just can't sit at home all day.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote