View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by janism View Post
Hi folks,

Am back after the first treatment today and just checking in to let you guys know how it went. And I'm fine, although I wouldn't characterize my first experience as a good one. Had nothing to do with the ECT, but was a real screw-up as far as anesthesia was concerned. Like I mentioned earlier, they give you two drugs - one is a fast acting sedative, and one is a fast acting paralysis agent. Unfortunately they didn't give me enough of the sedative this time, which meant that I woke up while the paralysis agent was still active. What that meant to me was that I had a VERY SCARY episode in which I thought I was suffocating to death and could not breathe and was desperately trying to tell someone about it. Once we got past that it was fine, but I have to be honest about the fact that it was very frightening!

Other than that I'm just very sleepy and have a few sore muscles - no biggie.

Am most definitely going to talk to them about the anesthesia problem on Wednesday and they are going to have to assure me that they will not let that happen again.
Hi Janism!
I sure can relate to waking up during surgery. I had to have an emergency c section done on my youngest son(He is now 28 yrs. old) I woke up, I tried to tell someone, anyone,"Hey I'm awake"!! I then heard the docs say, no.. pull him out this way(So, I knew I was having another son, by them saying, he) I too felt like I was suffocating!! I then felt pressure, my son was out, I was then knocked back out! When I was up and the anesthesia wore off, I told my doctor, was I dreaming? I was up for a while and heard voices, doctors talking, nurses. He said that he was so sorry that I woke up and that the reason being, my son was so small, that they had to give me light anesthesia. To this day, I am afraid of being knocked out. I tell my anestholigst this every single time. Even when I was haveing those stelliate ganglion blocks. They all reasure me that this won't happen. So, yes, make sure to tell them what happened. It seems like your awake for a long time, when, it's only for a few seconds, as they can see you move a little. Still, speak up and I am sure this will not happen to you again. I sure am happy that your fine now. Wishing you all the best! ~Love, Desi
Desi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (06-13-2008), janism (06-03-2008)