Old 10-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default don't go to bed either. then I am tired the next day

Quote:
Originally Posted by boann View Post
My problem is that something compels me to stay awake - i can be falling asleep at my computer at 2am on a week night (weekends are regularly in the 3a-5a range) and for some reason i STILL don't want to go to bed - it is very strange - and i *love* to sleep, will sleep until noon given the opportunity even if i went to bed at a reasonable hour the night before, but i have the hardest time making myself *get into* bed.
Hi,
This comes very close to describing my sleep issue.

I have bipolar but I noticed that my bipolar issues are not like the other folks. When my psychaitrst offered Ambien I didn't take it.

Many therapists have suggested that I follow "sleep hygiene" the way that they teach it in cognitive behavioral therapy. I learned this: only use the bed room for sleep and sex -- to tv, no phone, no reading, no eating, no computer...

One therapist said that my sleep thing is a kind of ADD/ADHD thing where I distract myself from going to bed.

Another thinks it is a kind of PTSD thing when I feel out of control/panicky about going to sleep.

The thing is that I can sleep at the computer, in the car (parking lot), and just about anywhere else. I simply put off going to bed until it is very late and then I have to will myself to sleep. I can be asleep 19 times out of 20 in about 15 minutes (with the help of Klonopin). If I am still awake after 15 minutes, I get up and read for 30 minutes. Then try again.

I'm been told that I have control issues and that I learn to let go through meditation.
My current therapist does hypnosis but we have made limited progress.

Anyway, this is more than you wanted to know.
I popped in to say that your situation sounds very similiar to mine.

Mari
Mari is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote