View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
I have SEVERELY dry eyes. I have been gooping them with Genteal, and ointments, and drops, and hot compresses, and so on. MY EYES ARE NOT HAPPY!

My MD wants me to get plugs. Says the hole is not closing, and all that moisture is going right into my sinus. Plugs will keep the moisture in my eyes.

Does anyone have these things? Do they hurt? Can you feel them? are they irritating? scratchy? do they fall out easily? what do you have to do for um?

I just went thru a few weeks of extremely dry eyes. I thought it was something from the optic neuritis that I've had. Opthalmologist told me that dry eye isnt usually a symptom for optic neuritis. Turns out it was allergies and the medications for the allergies that was causing it.

My opthalmologist gave me some Rx eye drops for seasonal allergies. Do you have allergies that are causing the dry eyes?

I was taking Singulair (an asthma med that can be used to treat seasonal allergies) and I was also taking Clarinex. Apparently both medications dried me out so badly that my right eye was drier than Death Valley for several days last week. Eye drops didnt seem to help (Refresh Tears Gel, and the regular Refresh Tears)

Once I started to use the Rx allergy drops, my eye started to feel better. Still feels a little dry sometimes, but I'm not drowning myself in drops now.

I wouldnt worry about the plugs. I've never had them, but I did ask my opthalmologist about them. He said he puts plugs in people almost every day. Said that it doesnt hurt, and you wont really notice them there. So, if he had suggested that I needed plugs, I would have let him do it. If I continue to have dry eye, I'll probably go back and let him put the plugs in.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote