View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Hi, Lou,

I'm a cervie and a lumbie. I haven't had any surgery. I do have a couple of pieces of experience to pass on though.

I had radio frequency lesioning done on L1-L2-L3-L4-L5 (5 levels, both sides). It did absolutely nothing. I didn't even get the relief that you get from the anesthetic.

About a year after the procedure, I could just tell that the nerves had grown back. The pain got much-much worse. Felt like I had been kicked by a camel.

I then went in again and had an epidural -- that WORKED!! I knew as soon as he did the ESI that it worked. It's been over a year and a half now and it's still working.

Now -- nobody told me this -- this is just my opinion: I think when the nerves grew back after the RFL that they grew back in a place that was more accessible to the ESI. I'd had many ESIs before that never worked.

I, too, have compressed spinal cord in my neck. I take Effexor XR. I also have taken Cymbalta which works just as well. Both of these drugs stop all the pain from the compressed spinal cord in my neck. I also fibromyalgia and neuropathy in my hands and feet from a blood condition. All that pain is stopped by the Effexor XR.

I don't have any side effects from the Effexor XR. I just have to be very careful that I take all my pills on time. I've gone into MAJOR withdrawal a couple of times during the winter when I couldn't get to the pharmacy for a week.

Also, one of my doctors tried increasing the dosage from 2 Effexor XR per day to 3 per day a few months ago. It stopped working when I took it 3 times per day. And I felt like I was on speed at the higher dosage -- couldn't sleep at all.

The only pills that I take for pain relief are the Effexor XR (2 pills per day) and 800mg Ibuprofen (1 to 3 times per day).

Effexor XR and Cymbalta are chemically similar. They both work well on neuropathic pain. Talk to your doctor and see if it might be worthwhile for you to try one of these drugs.

Good luck.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote