View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 11:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

OMG, ((((((Mili))))))

I find it real hard to believe that you think you don't know what you're doing.

When you write it all down like that -- it's just so obvious (to me anyway)

Vince doesn't have anything in his school life that makes him feel competent.

I didn't realize he was losing skills

The comparison that I made the other day between Vince and my son is just SO OBVIOUS. The school(s) don't want to see him act out at all, so they are doing everything to appease him and keep him from acting out. BUT, they're also preventing him from learning. My G-d!!

I like what you said about getting him some time with REAL PEERS -- people that he has something in common with. Even if they're younger. He NEEDS that feeling of *I BELONG/I FIT HERE*.

If you took a six and a half foot tall two-year old (if there ever were such a thing), he would not feel that he *fit* with teenagers.

I think it's the same thing for Vince -- he doesn't FIT where he is right now.

Mili, have you ever thought about getting Vince a Big Brother?? I'm not thinking as a Father substitute or anything like that. I'm thinking more along the lines of an adult who WANTS TO BE WITH HIM and who can and will subtlely correct his behavior. Boys in school and at home tend to get a lot of exposure to females, which doesn't really teach them the subtleties of male behavior that they need to learn.

Mili, I think you've focused your thoughts really well. I think the personal experience that you have with a similar diagnosis is absolutely invaluable. It's almost like you're the only one around that speaks "Vince" and you can translate for them.

I think you're doing a fantastic job of focusing on what Vince really needs now.

Trust your gut instincts, Mili. I think they're right on target. BIG HUGS (and love).

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote