View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 11:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
I signed onto OBT yesterday, as was stunned to find how many of the old pn forum were posting there. I became concerned that to follow what's going on with my old friends, and help new ones, I'd have to check both places daily, and actually belong to OBT, which I'm loathe to do.............Here we are with DocJohn being transparent, real, warm and honest. Why are people going back to a forum which has already failed us, .......... I do not get it.
I too, find that it is in my best interest to check both.
Probably because others are doing so, to be part of the 'community' that has
served us (albiet questionably) for so long.
As long as the 'regulars' (the knowledgeable ones) keep coming back to post,
we can rely on them for support.
It is difficult for some to change horses, midstream or not.
It is comforting to once again, find our 'family'.
The people we communicate with, on a regular basis.
Until the 'movers and shakers' (not the administrators or moderators) of the on-line posts decide to make a permanent move elsewhere - I'll have to keep check here and OBT, as well.
There's a big difference in pollitics vs daily advice & comfort. Its a shame that all this has come to be, but things are ........as things are.
I have no interest in creating (or participating in) movements, rallies or campaigns.
When I was first stricken with PN, BT (sponsored by the Hospital) was an island in a sea of almost no knowledge- an oasis that I stumbled upon (I still cannot remember exactly how I found it) when I was frantic with pain. My doctors were clueless as to how to treat or Rx properly. All I had was a "PN" clue from one of my medical records, and a PCP that thought I should be treated by a psyc because of my 'complaining'.
Only thru the experiences and empathy of the BT community, did I find answers and avenues to pursue. It became a habit, a daily 'fix' for my psyche. Switching would have been difficult at that time. I'm sure others are at that same juncture and would be 'abandoned' if the experienced & knowledgable 'regulars' (like yourself) - just left. Many were in a state of near panic when BT went off-line for the first time, and similarly affected with the recent problems. Back on-line was a blessing for them. The politics and reasons for the problems, as well as the administrative tactics of the moderators, really only affected a small percentile.
The rest were just glad they once more, had a place to go, and a place to get answers to the questions tha concerned them most.

So I guess Doc John's generosity offering an alternate for us, must be an alternative for those of us who realize that its the community that counts. Hopefully, this site will develop a community that is a kinder gentler place to be- and will gradually attract its own populace. Create its own nest in the niche that needs so much help & understanding.
I am pleased that it is here and hope that it will stay..... as another place to be, not a replacement or 'the alternative'- but just a place that needs to be here.......for those of us that need & want it.