View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New to this... do i need a surgeon sooner rather than later??

I'm still in the dealing with doctors who don't have a clue phase. I'll try and make my history brief as possible (ok that wasn't very brief... sorry!)...
  • Noticed symptoms in late 2006. I thought I was sleeping on my arm funny to make it numb.
  • No accident.
  • 1/07 Pointed out to my Orthopedic (for my lower back) that my hand goes numb if I hold it up. He did Adson test and noticed I completely lost my pulse. Sent me to hand doctor...
  • Hand Dr. said possible TOS, but he doesn't treat tos... numbness faded some so I didn't go do nerve tests.
  • 6/07 - headaches started. Assumed it was stress (had no clue headaches were a symptom of TOS).
  • 6/07 - Family dr put me on anti-depressant for stress headaches/muscle (neck/shoulder) tension.
  • 10/07 headaches so bad I asked for stronger anti-depressant. He tried adding a light dose of a 2nd one. HATED how that made me feel so I dealt with the headaches.
  • 10/07 - 1/07 massages as I could afford them. 1 hr deep tissue massage focused on neck/shoulder doesn't do squat.
  • 2/07 - no stress at work anymore... thought maybe it is sinus headaches... even went and got allergy testing done.
  • 3/08 - Went to general orthopedic for the problem 3/08 because the numbness/pain/tingly in my right arm was getting worse and is to the point where I'm having trouble working. Pain in the neck/headaches is also a huge problem. I do computer support so I type/mouse 9-10 hrs a day 5 days a week.
  • March & April '08 - tests... tests... and more tests...
    • total body scan - rule out any bone tumor/arthritis
    • complete blood/urine tests - normal thyroid. No indicator of RA.
    • c-spine xrays (no extra rib)
    • EMG/NCV of ulnar and median nerves - normal
    • dopplar study - showed "strongly abnormal thoracic outlet evaluation with near complete occlusion of arterial waveform to the right upper extremety at nearly every degree of limb manipulation"..... left was moderate occlusive waveform. (left doesn't really bother me).
  • Vascular surgeon consultation (didn't like him - Dr. Azizzadeh - supposedly he does TOS surgery in Houston) - he said he thought it was neurological (eventhough he had the dopplar test results in front of him... just because my hand didn't turn blue if I open/closed my fist).
  • My orthopedic dropped me... said "do pt, then if that doesn't work get the surgery, and if you have problems after you've recovered from the surgery come back and see me again" (yea right!)
  • My family doctor is trying to help (ordered MRI that Physical Therapist suggested). Family Doctor knows what TOS is but said he's never seen anyone who actually had it. At least he admits it and he didn't just dump me off with noone else to go to so 2 brownie points for that at least.
Coming soon:
  • c-spine/shoulder MRI - to be done tomorrow.
  • Nerve testing of thoracic outlet scheduled with a neurologist for 6/23 (I could try another neurologist to see if I can get in sooner... but don't know who else to go to in Houston)

If I have arterial blockage (as indicated in the dopplar), is it more important to see a surgeon (one who knows what they are doing) sooner rather than later? Right now I'm just waiting for nerve testing appointment. I don't even know if this neurologist is any good. I was refered to him by Dr. Noon (Houston Baylor Dr who supposedly treats TOS).

I don't even really have a doctor at this point so I'm not really sure what to do next. I only got the name of the neurolgist by calling Dr. Noon's office a bunch of times saying "there HAS to be someone I can see between the orthopedic who diagnosed it, but won't/can't treat it, and the surgeon.

I'm still reading through post histories on here but ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
colleen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
astern (06-05-2008)