View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Sounds like you have found

out, these things take a VERY long time. Often years! It is not unusual.
You have been doing all you can and simply put...if ALAN doesn't fully understand HIS own limits, you will have to be the 'patcher'.
Web up 'diabetic foot infections'...and you will find a lot of research about such issues and treatments. YES I KNOW! Alan does not have a diabetic issue, but nearly all research and therapy comes from that pool of experiences. Treatment is the same for pn'ers - diabetic or not. Read it and heed it! Here is one example: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3547.htm
The potentials for some sort of 'infection' to the bone is THERE and one has to be beyond super cautious! It is a scary proposition.
I have known of diabetics w/PN who have been hospitalized for 5 and 9 weeks respectively due to foot infections that they did not feel -in intensive care. It is all a nasty and really debilitating circumstance and I admire you for your persistence. I do worry tho at times...why isn't Alan taking a more part in any of his own care? I know you two are devoted to each other, but, as a guy, a GUY would want to 'do it himself'! for the most part.
One other option for foot-wrapping between skin, socks or whatever? Is what my podiatrist calls a 'pre-wrap'. It is a soft, breatheable flexible felt-like wrap that doesn't abrade between the foot and anything on top of the wrap. It's NOT cheap stuff! But, it does work.
Callouses do not dissolve or anything w/o debridement. This is always an/some abnormal formation of skin to 'protect' itself, rightly or wrongly.
The excess skin growth around the 'site' must be cut away. There are times when this growth can be good in healing, but in FEET it is NOT! Sometimes callouses growing on feet can be dangerous. I know from long prior experiences.
I suspect that all this will be discounted as it is from me. I am disappointed because I only am wishing Alan the best in the long run. 's -j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote