View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Buy the laptop (I am on my second Mac right now, sitting on the couch, not plugged in, and wireless with my Linksys router) and the router, and just follow the instructions! It will be easier than it sounds. If not, you usually can contact the router company for help. You could set up both computers on it so hubby could move his to another room if you like, but he would probably have to get a bluetooth device to make it wireless.

I do not recommend spending your good money on an extended warranty unless it will give you good support service too. Most repairs and issues become evident early on. This is one reason I go with Apple, as they offer a care plan that allows me to contact them directly for help if I need it. The other reason is speed and power . . . when I went back home for a visit and used my brother's laptop (non-Mac, but don't recall brand) it was excruciatingly slow! Another reason is the Apple computer is tops for artistic applications. . . . and I am an artist!

But the #1 reason I like Macs is that they are much less likely to succumb to a virus than a PC. I never have to spend my time patching and cleaning up virus damage. However, so as not to sound like I get commission or something. . . . enjoy selecting your new laptop computer! I would buy it from a reputable dealer, and beware of buying online, where in some instances I have heard you may get little or no support if there are problems, even straight from the box. Know your dealer.

I would never buy one second-hand. I had my first Mac laptop stolen, and the thought of someone making a buck selling it on e-Bay makes me ill. . . .

And by all means, do not be afraid to operate your laptop on its battery! I do, as it keeps me more aware of how many hours I have lost to being online each session!!! I use it as a timer for my habit. . . .