View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I posted this on the other thread:

First off I want to ask you something? Do all of your friends come to you for advice? You must be tired! Girl, take care of yourself first OK?

Second, I grew up with alcoholics and still have some in the family. The best thing they can do for him is to boot him on his butt right out the door. Yes this is hard to do but they are not responsible for his behavior nor reluctance to get help. They are enabling him, point blank. If he continues to be given a place to live and his bills being paid, food on the table, etc., he will most likely never stop. They do risk the chance that he will continue to drink no matter what but they have to do something instead of enabling him.

I would also suggest that the family revisit Al-anon and really listen to what is being said. They cannot take blame for him, force him to stop or control any part of the rehab process. If he chooses to continue to drink it's on him and only him. It is a disease and it's a hard one to break. However, only he can do it. Enabling him only makes it worse. And the family who brought booze to the intervention? What in the world were they thinking?

The best gift his parents can give him is to let him fall and pick himself up. He is verbally abusive and disrespectful of the home and love that he has been given and that is unacceptable.

Also, the serenity prayer is for anyone facing trials and tribulations, including the parents:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life