Old 06-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingonebad View Post
The 40 ft maple across the street snapped in two last night in that wind. I heard the tornado warning on tv and looked out the window to see how it was outside. I thought "Oh, it's not that bad yet." Then WHAM the wind hit, the tree hit the ground (and the road) just as a car was going by.

You should've seen me jump, lol!

Looked like the car might have gotten hit, but it kept going. There was 30 feet of branches in the road and the neighbor's yard.

I barely slept, keeping an eye on the weather. Somebody has to stay up in case a tornado comes, and round up everyone else - the baby was here, so I was extra cautious.

Rudbeckia - black eyed susans, right?

You want some? I have tons growing. Come on down.
Thanks for the offer! Wish I could! I might take you up on it this fall though!

You know that tree event you had...reminds me of a Det News/Free Press column writer...she was very popular and very good. I can't recall her name right now..this was a while ago.
She was sitting in her driveway in her car while a storm raged..waiting for it to let up so she could run into the house.
And a tree fell across her car and killed her. A really FREAK thing. ( I tried to find it online, but it is too old).

I have a big packet of seeds of Rudbeckia that I will start up north and get going there. I have tons of outdoor time then.
It is a good way to increase perennials. I do them on the old dock we use as a deck. It is high off the water (back when the water levels were so high) and I can stand next to them and not bend over etc. (like a long table). Easy on the body.

I found some very nice seed suppliers on Ebay. Very reasonable price for huge amounts. So that is where I got mine this season. Depending on my back/leg I might even dig up
some oxeye daisies... and bring them back. This would depend on how many reseeded themselves last season. (the deer don't eat them...it is the only thing the deer avoid).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote