Old 06-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
1) your new soil is too moist. Some new potting soils now
come with moisture enhancers added (Miracle grow and some others)...for plants that like to dry out between waterings
this is just not for THEM! Dry lovers may rot. So read the bag of potting soil carefully. For most container plants the moisture thingy is helpful, but not for cactus or succulents.

2) OR... when you moved it, you either buried the crown slightly
deeper by accident, and the crown is rotting out. Some plants cannot stand to be pinched or have soil around their crowns.
I have done dry loving plants, and I try to put sand around the crowns of those. So moisture drains away from that critical area.

I've never done Aloes, but I have seen them.

This website gives some tips...they are similar to what I said.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/aloe~vera.html

I didn't know they had shallow roots...that would explain maybe your rotting problem?
I think you hit it on the head with the soil being too moist. I have an aloe. It does not like to be re-potted, does not like to be moved, and needs very little water.

I use cheap potting soil - no water retaining or fertilizer added, just dirt. I mixed it with really bad, old, used potting soil - about 2 parts new to one part old.

That way, it was almost dusty and had less nutrients in it. It does not like plastic pots, either. Terra cotta works best. They like a hard environment. And only go up one pot size when you replant it. They kind of like to be crowded.

It can be moved outside for summer, but it looks bad until it adjusts. Then it prefers inderect light and needs to be where the wind won't beat it up and it won't get knocked over.

I must be neglecting mine well as I've had it 3+ yrs and it now has babies.
mrsD (06-09-2008), tkrik (06-08-2008)