View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default the spiral

It is common for PD symptoms to first "bloom" after an unusually large stress, both physical and psychic. In my own case it was a bout with the flu. I had had a tremor for eight years with little worsening until then. Currently I am dealing with huge mental stresses as a result of the real estate crash and I can feel a need to be very wary-a sense of fragility. I think the answer is clearly yes, we are subject to periodic drops and I do think that stressors are the trigger.
As to what actually happened in Ron's situation, I can only speculate. The infected tooth resulted in at least three changes in the chemical soup beyond the leaking BBB. 1)Exotoxins from the living bacteria, 2)Endotoxins from dying bacteria - was there an antibiotic? and 3)Increased pro-inflammatory cytokines from the immune system's microglia. The first two have presumably been taken care of with the infection but number 3 can be a bear. Liu, Hong, and other researchers at the NIH found that in a rat a single exposure could trigger a response like number 3 that lasted for months.
What to do? I can only tell you what I would do for legal reasons. First, I would look for things that attenuate the microglial response. Medline suggests that likely ones include resveratrol or red wine which should be easy to obtain; others
include blueberry extracts, minocycline, silymarin, etc. Also, our old friends curcumin and dextromethorphan.

I would also keep up my own ginseng and gingko for general toning of my systems.
-Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
Is PD a gradual deterioration or do you go downhill in steps? I seem to deteriorate in steps followed by a long period of level performance.
I can trace back to several significant worsening of symptoms, and have just had another seemingly permanent drop. Maybe they were triggered by infections etc, but I don't go back to what I was. These are permanent moves in the downward spiral.
I recently had a gum infection, following a broken tooth. My symptoms nosedived but I have now cured the infection, but have not recovered to my previous form. I can only just get out of bed in the mornings now, and many other changes.
The medical literature describes PD as a gradual loss of functions, but is it? Is this another one of the myths? What is your experience?
Ron
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vertigo (06-12-2008)