View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I love this stuff!!!!! After leaving the healthcare industry I made a career change and a couple of years working in a remodeling company prior to having to leave the workforce. H/C was my favorite! This is what I remember from those days (both book learned as well as from customers).

1. Take advantage of roll outs and drawers. It is much easier to get to the hidden places in the back of cabinets.

2. Consider buying a cooktop as opposed to a range. That way if you need to lower it, it is much easier. A wall oven can be lowered as well.

3. In the kitchen, put a section of countertop at a lower height. Right now it can be used as a desk and in the future it can be used as a work surface for cooking.

4. Plan on having most of your things in the base cabinets. I had one customer where we didn't put in any upper cabinets. She loved it as she was able to get to everything. There are tons of drawer organizers out there that can be used to organize the dishes so they don't move around in the drawers.

5. Try to incorporate a pedestal sink in the bathroom and look at other options for storage space.

6. Obviously a H/C accessible shower where you can just roll in. A bathtub in the guest bath that is designed so that you can get in and out of easily. Don't forget the grab bars. It is easier to install them while building than after the fact.

7. Wider door ways and minimize sharp turns.

Oh man, I could go on and on and this would be 1 huge post. LOL. But those are some quick ideas.

Last edited by tkrik; 06-09-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote