View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxy View Post
Hope you are all managing well and are as pain free as possible!!
Quick question....anyone in here ever had phrenic nerve involvement pre or post rib resection. I was very short of breath and could not lay flat as felt like I was suffocating, also causes me to cough and then voice goes hoarse after talking for awhile and so I just shut up ( yea friends are LOVIN it!!!hahahahhahahah)...continues to be ongoing to date March 15,2008.My surgery was Dec4th,2007.
Was told could take months to resolve if it ever does!

Take Care All!!!!
Linda
Hi,
I presently have a nonfunctioning Left Diaphram due to a lack of transmission thru the Phrenic Nerve. This happened at the same time I had a window cut in my Pericardiam that surrounds the heart. I believe that my Phrenic Nerve was cut in half or cut enough to stop its functioning. I have had multiple EMG's done on my left Phrenic Nerve that shows no transmission or continuity in that nerve. It has been 14 months since this procedure was done and if it was an inflamation of the nerve it would have subsided with all the Steriods and anti inflamatories I have been on... Has your diaphram started functioning again? I need to find out if there is any way that the medical community can find out for sure whether the Phrenic Nerve was cut or just tramautized beyond belief? I have been told that if functioning hasn't returned with in a year you can pretty much forget about that Diaphram ever functioning again? And before I go under the knife again to have a Placation done I want to make sure that I have exhausted any chance of that nerve functioning again. In case you don't know a Placation is not reversible they sew the diaphram in its lowest position so your Lung can expand the most because over a period of time the Diaphram naturally starts rising.
David G
David G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote