View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face yes, this brings to mind

My husband and I were just talking about this subject.

He is totally flummoxed by drug names. Each drug has a generic name and a Brand name. People in general gravitate to
identifying and communicating with one or the other.

For example--Tylenol is acetaminophen. So when I ask him to get me a "Tylenol" when he is upstairs, he looks at the bottle and sees acetaminophen and gets totally confused (it is a generic bottle). He is very resistant to learning these names, and we have constant issues over it.

I can handle the drug names (I HAVE to). But I gravitate to the easy name when I am not at work. I can also do many plants that way...Rudbeckia/black-eyed Susans etc.

But where BOTH of us converge is with ROCKS/geology!

I just bought a rock book to take up north, to help ID some of the nice ones I have found there and put in my rock garden. We live on a privately owned family island...there are millions
of ROCKS...
EVERY single rock has a really NEW name.... and I can't for the life of me remember them. They all have -----ITE on the end of their names.
examples...Andesite, spilite,Syenite, pyroxenite, serpentinite, norite, dolerite, etc etc!

This is a rather small book with very large pictures! I thought I could handle it...but NOPE...it puts me to sleep literally after 10 or so pages, and I don't recall the names the next day!
My husband took geology in college, and he had the same problem! So we have both hit a wall, when it comes to rock names! LOLOLOL

I've only learned a few of the Latin names of my plants. I certainly don't know the majority.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tovaxin_lab_rat (06-10-2008), Twinkletoes (06-16-2008)