View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Here's my list!

1. 5 foot x 5 foot turn around space in the bathroom! Go ahead and make a roll in shower while your at it.

2. 48 inch hallways and 36 inch doors all around the house. Invest in pocket doors if you can. Use lever style handles rather than round.

3. Kitchen cabinets can be modified with pull out shelves. We don't have them because Jim has an elevated wheelchair but it's an option. Also, have at least one cabinet that can be rolled under in case you need to use a wheelchair.

4. Zero access entry doors. Low grade lot. Avoids the need for a ramp.

5. Two exits on each side of the house. I know this sounds silly but our house had no back entrance/exit. We took out a window and put in french doors and added a deck with a ramp.

6. Non-skid tile. Absolute necessity! Wood floors, carpet can catch and cause you to fall. Also, easier to clean up if using a wheelchair.

7. Lower door handles and light switches. You may not need them now but may later. Always prepare for the future I say!

8. At least one bedroom, preferably the master should be larger than all other bedrooms to accommodate a wheelchair if needed.

9. If you can afford it, security doors with access codes and/or remote.

10. Grab bars in the shower and toilet area. And finally, go ahead and get that whirlpool tub. We have a hot tub called the Solo and it is wonderful! Great for loosening the muscles! Of course we keep the water temp low like a swimming pool.

I can take pics of my house for you if needed.
kicker (06-11-2008), tamiloo (06-12-2008), tkrik (06-10-2008), Twinkletoes (06-10-2008), who moi (06-15-2008)