View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Post American Indians Are Not Mascots

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/ame...re-not-mascots

This is a petition to retire the use of "Fighting Sioux" at the University of North Dakota, in case anyone is interested. Pass it on to your friends too, if you so desire. You can also choose to ignore me.

I was involved in the protests of "Chief Illiniwek" of the University of Illinois, and I sat in on some of the UIC board meetings. It was heartbreaking listening to the stories. It reminded me of the racism my own son had to endure in school. It made me thankful we no longer use black as mascots. He had it bad enough.

Chief Illiniwek was eventually retired, and the NCAA made a declaration for all schools to stop the use of Indian mascots. UND is refusing to comply. The stories I've heard from the native community there are far worse than what I heard here in Illinois. It's "tradition" to pick on the natives from the reservations, especially after a few drinks.

I'd like to think people across the country here now realize the impact and consequences of using/mocking others from another culture/race.

Thanks.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (06-12-2008), MelodyL (06-11-2008), weegot5kiz (06-11-2008)