Thread: New Title
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb oh, Glenn...how awful for you...

This sounds very similar to my leg issue, from a year ago!

It takes a LONG time for these soft tissue injuries to heal and they are mega mondo painful. Are you getting
ultrasound and IFC treatments? These really took my pain levels down
dramatically.

My PT cautioned me over and over, about sudden movements, or sudden
strains. I have several health club no-- nos now, and weight limits on the machines. Even tho I am strong, and can do 240 lbs on the leg presses, I am no longer allowed things like that. You might have to sacrifice weight with more reps. As we age, we do not handle these strains well. Even with stretching. I also think the PN (autoimmune issues like Gluten) wear on the connective tissues alot.

And you might investigate Biofreeze. This topical gel has been marvelous for me.
They sold it at my rehab place. Now I buy it online. I even use it on my feet too.

When my pain was at its height I used Lidoderms on my lower back to intercept the pain signals before they hit the spine. Lidoderm might help you sleep etc.

But estimates for my recovery were grossly off target. I was told 6mos..and it has been a year now, and I am just getting my stamina back, and the limp is almost gone. The major pain left for me during the IFC and ultrasound..the 24/7 pain that is. Now I don't even need Tylenol except on very bad days. But my range of motion is not 100%, and I can still feel it if I move certain ways. So don't become frustrated if it takes longer than you expected.

There are some nutrients that may help
Vit C
SAMe
Tumeric/ginger for inflammation
silica (found in green beans and bananas-- and beer which you cannot have on your gluten regimen)

I would avoid continuous use of NSAIDs...even tho doctors give them. Every day use, suppresses the healing Cox-2 cytokines (yes some Cox 2 cytokines stimulate healing!) . This will happen at about 4-6 wks...so intermittent use for pain is okay and should not interrupt normal healing. Sometimes an icepack will do wonders instead of Ibuprofen.
Strangely, ibuprofen only started working for me when I reached pain levels of 3 or so. In the beginning it was useless! But now I can take 600mg of Ibu on a bad day or long shift at work and get a 8hr or more effect.

I have a website (provided to me by Jo55 a while back) that sells home units for IFC treatments when your PT runs out. It is nice to have it at home, and worked well for me. (about $140.) IFC is healing whereas TENS do not. What I was told at my sessions was that adhesions form with the fascia, and that is something that leads to pain with motion during healing.

Don't hesitate to email me.. if you need further support. I can really understand your plight... it was a totally rough year for me as well!

Love,

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote